Last month I wrote about creating my own personalized curriculum of things that interest me from content delivered for free (or at a very minimal cost) via the internet. I called it the ‘Free Education Project’. (It is important to give proper credit to author Chris Guillebeau and his Alternative Graduate School Program. I’ve borrowed several of his concepts for this project).
I suspect it will take 18 months (Jan 2015) and less than $800 to complete the curriculum listed below [cost noted for each line]…..
- Read 2 books each month from my reading list. [Free from library]
- Follow a schedule of 2 posts per week, Sunday & Wednesday, to www.thefishchronicles.com. [Free using WordPress.com]
- Listen to Grammar Girl podcasts (1x per week) to get tips for better writing. [Free on iTunes]
- Listen to Dave Ramsey podcasts (3x per week) to get personal finance tips. [Free on iTunes]
- Complete certification for Xero cloud based accounting software, the accounting software used at my workplace. [Free *$199 fee paid by my employer* scheduled 8/22 – 8/23]
- Complete ‘An Intro to Financial Accounting‘, Univ. of Pennsylvania Wharton via Coursera [Free online, scheduled 9/16 – 11/25]
- Update skills with Khan Academy ‘Algebra‘ module. [Free online learning]
- Update skills with Khan Academy ‘Geometry‘ module. [Free online learning]
- Update skills with Khan Academy ‘Probability‘ module. [Free online learning]
- Complete Khan Academy ‘Finance & Capital Markets‘ module. [Free online learning]
- Complete Khan Academy ‘Microeconomics‘ module. [Free online learning]
- Complete Khan Academy ‘Macroeconomics‘ module. [Free online learning]
- Complete ‘Intro to Computer Science‘ class at Udacity. [Free online learning]
- Complete ‘Intro to Programming in Java‘ class at Udacity. [Free online learning]
- Complete the ‘Learn WordPress‘ Learning Adventure at Treehouse. [$250 for a one year subscription]
- Complete FileMaker Pro 12 Certification, the database software used at my workplace. [$20 for training materials, $150 for exam]
- Create an idea. [Free – meditate, walk, browse the internet, talk to people]
- Launch a Kickstarter campaign to fund the idea. [Free]
- Open a Shopify online store based upon the idea. [$152 for a one year plan]
Following the curriculum outlined above will provide me the equivalent of an advanced degree that costs traditional university students tens of thousands of dollars. The project will be comprised of subjects that are of great interest to me and also lend value to my daily work. I’ll complete my ‘degree’ for less than $1,000 and finish at my own pace with no debt. Upon completing the project, I’ll have an online store that has a high probability of generating revenue from Day 1.
I’ll provide updates from time to time about how the ‘Free Education Project’ is progressing. Thanks for reading – comments are always appreciated!